[OS X TeX] End of i-Installer/i-Packages support per 1/1/2007

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sat Nov 11 16:15:27 CET 2006

Hello all,

As I have announced at TUG2006 in Marrakech this week, my support for
i-Installer and the i-Packages will end on January 1st, 2007.

Before that moment, there will be an attempt at one more improvement
of i-Installer: using authenticating proxies. And I will work on the
documentation of everything.

After Jan 1, I will no longer support i-Installer or my i-Packages. I
will still use it personally and the incidental i-Package update
(e.g. ConTeXt updates) will find its way to the repositores. But I
will not offer e-mail support (nor answer it) and I will not do any
work unless it is for personal reasons.

There are several reasons why I have to end support. The most
important reasons are:
- The end of teTeX and the volatility of TeX Live.  Keeping up with
changes in TeX Live is beyond me and the support load that will come
from it is *way* beyond me
  - My day job will take more energy and time (remember: my i-Package/
i-Installer activities have been done in my spare time).
- I want to be a TeX *user* for a change.
- 6 years have been wonderful but also enough.

I will try to leave the setup in such a state that someone else can
take it up. I will also be available for advise *if* someone else
takes it up but only to a certain level (e.g. I am not going to help
people learn perl or Objective-C or Cocoa or etc.)

It is not all over yet but I'd like to thank you all for your support
and for being such nice, friendly and constructive users.