[OS X TeX] Texshop files in the Trash

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Fri Nov 10 05:20:04 CET 2006

On Nov 9, 2006, at 15:22, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Nov 9, 2006, at 5:02 PM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:
>
>> Nearly every time I restart my computer (PowerBook G4, OS 10.4.8),
>> the Trash contains at least one, and usually more, recovered
>> TeXShop files. There's other files too  (mostly ppd's), but
>> TeXShop files are by far the most frequent. Do others see this? Is
>> this bad?
>>
>> Themis
>
> Howdy,
>
> Those files are annoying but just delete them! For some reason the
> default place OS X 10.4.x uses for temporary files is not what it
> was under pre-Tiger days and sometimes files left there are dumped
> in each user's trash when they log in; DUMB!

It's not really dumb, just conservative.  I believe the trashing
behavior is so you can retrieve temporary/working files in case of a
system crash (Mac OS has done this for a long time).

If an application uses NSTemporaryDirectory() for files, it should
clean them up when it quits.  For files that can safely be trashed
silently, you should use kChewableItemsFolderType with FSFindFolder
(Carbon file manager function).

Adam