[OS X TeX] Mac OS X Question

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Wed Nov 8 01:05:55 CET 2006

>On Nov 7, 2006, at 4:45 PM, Louis S VanSlyck wrote:
>
>>I googled  "graphics plain tex", but the explanation is too anemic
>>for me. I thought the syntax would be like:
>>
>>\input color
>>
>>{\color{red} This prints red.}    % This works fine.
>>
>>which suggests (to me) that one should write:
>>
>>\input picture
>>
>>{\picture{Logo.pdf}}
>>
>>to place the graphic named "Logo.pdf".    % But that fails.

These 'wrappers' allow plain TeX users to use (certain) LaTeX
packages.  So the documentation for those packages is part of the
LaTeX documentation.  So when you use \input graphicx (which is the
most useful all purpose graphics package in LaTeX), you get access to
that package and all its commands in your plain TeX file.  To find
out more about that documentation, type "texdoc graphicx" in a
terminal window (no quotes) and the docs should open.

At 5:14 PM -0600 11/7/06, Herbert Schulz wrote:

>\input graphicx
>
>and then
>
>\usegraphics{Logo.pdf}

This won't work.  The correct syntax is

\includegraphics{Logo.pdf}

Beware that these wrappers are not particularly supported and so
everything may not work the same way as it would within a LaTeX file.
(Which is why we continue to recommend that you stick to LaTeX and
not plain TeX.)

Is there a reason why you are sticking to plain TeX, Lou?

Alan

--
Alan Munn
amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics
and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages   Fax.  +1-517-432-2736
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824       Tel.  +1-517-355-7491