[OS X TeX] Different results with TeXLive intel/ppc

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Tue Nov 7 18:24:42 CET 2006

Hi,

this is quite troubling: I migrated two machines to TeXLive with i-
installer, an intel iMac and a DualG5. Both run 10.4.8, both have the
identical ~/Library/texmf tree (I sync them with unison), but I get
different results when compiling my theses. On the PPC machine the
document is 393 pages long, on the intel machine it's 402 pages. I
carefullly arranged footnotes and spaces in the document and the
result is fine on PPC. On the iMac everything gets screwed up. The
basic layout is still the same, but obviously there are big
differences in details which lead to big white spaces at some places
which then lead to more pages.

Unfortunately, the intel machine is at work, so I can't do any
smaller example right now to compare the two setups. But at the
moment I don't see any differences between the machines except their
CPUs.

This is very troubling IMO. Anyone else seeing this, any ideas?

simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

"I have never been certain that the moral of the Icarus myth is, as
is generally accepted, 'don't fly too high', or whether it might also
be thought of as: 'forget about the wax and feathers, and do a better
job on the wings." Stanley Kubrick