[OS X TeX] how to install the emerald font package

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Tue Nov 7 15:13:33 CET 2006

At 3:38 PM -0700 11/6/06, John Vokey wrote:
>All,
>   I use the Mac-TeX version of Gerben's Mac OS X TeX installation.
>I would like to use some of the fonts in the emerald font package
>(he free emerald city fontwerks fonts).  How does one go about it
>(i.e., what goes where, and what cmd-line commands do I need to
>execute so that pdftex knows all about them?

Noone seems to have responded to this.  I installed them using the
MikTeX package manager (which can run on any Un*x system).  So
installation consisted of three commands: (the third might be
superfluous, but can't harm.)

% sudo mpm --install=emerald
% sudo -H updmap-sys --enable Map=emerald.map
% sudo texhash

And then you're done.  Having struggled in the past to install fonts
manually, this method is amazingly quick.
The MikTeX package manager is part of the MikTeX tools, which can be
found here:

http://www.miktex.org/unx/

To install mpm on Gerben's distibution you need to specify the
location when you build the software initially.  For example on a
teTeX system:

./configure MIKTEX_INSTALLROOT=/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/

Other than that, just follow the directions in the README file, and
the directions on the webpage above.  If you choose this location,
mpm should be run using sudo.  (I prefer to install things in the
system-wide texmf since I have multiple users on my machines.)

Alan

--
Alan Munn
amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics
and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages   Fax.  +1-517-432-2736
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824       Tel.  +1-517-355-7491