[OS X TeX] include cannot be nested?

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 00:32:44 CET 2006

Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

>> On Nov 4, 2006, at 4:43 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>>
>>> I have now spent a whole day trying to understand file paths up and
>>> down folders and I think that I finally got to understand how LaTeX
>>> works but now I am getting a message saying "include cannot be
>>> nested". Since I would of course swear on anything that it used to,
>>> I am now terminally stuck as I don't know what it really means and
>>> what to do.
>>

>> \include's can't be nested. You would probably want to use \input for
>> your exercises.
>>
>> http://www.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/textprocessing/teTeX/latex/latex2e-
>> html/ltx-245.html

That's quite definite. Now I wonder about the extent to which I can
trust my memory. (But see below.)

>> The following is from a blog post that I haven't managed to finish
>> yet, about managing large projects in LaTeX. It's, as far as I
>> understand, the differences between \include{afile} and \input{afile}:
>>
>> 1. You cannot have nested \include's, while you could have as many
>> nested \input's as you like.

Yes, but I need to be able to renew the command and \input cannot be
renewed since it is a TeX command.

>> This makes \input a great command to use
>> for including libraries of custom commands and other preamble stuff.
>> 2. \include'd files generate their own .aux files, while \input'ed
>> files don't. I am guessing pdfsync might also not work with \input'ed
>> files, but I haven't tested this.
>> 3. \include'd files start on a new page no matter what. Depending on
>> the document class used, they might even start on the first available
>> odd-numbered page. This makes \include's perfect for starting a new
>> chapter.
>> 4. \include calls \clearpage right before starting its work. This
>> means that any floats, like tables and figures, that haven't been
>> rendered yet for one reason or another, will now be inserted.

I now think I know why things worked before as I have now found the
exchange that led to my "solution". The thread was called "Unwanted
blank page" and the central message is Sneep's 1/3/06 4:08 PM. I have
now forgotten all the stuff I tried and did or didn't do ever since but
this gives me the occasion for a clean start.

Grateful regards (but any new help would still be … helpful.)
--schremmer

Also, I should say that I have no floats and that I don't understand nor
really care about underfull/overfull boxes, etc. I hope I won't be
offending anyone if I say that I don't really care for typographical
beauty—actually, I do to an extent but certainly not in my own
prodduction and I will leave to whoever downloads the stuff to clean it.