[OS X TeX] include cannot be nested?

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 22:43:44 CET 2006

Being both terminally curious and terminally obstinate, I cannot leave
well enough alone and sometimes it gets to be expensive. Here is the
latest case in point with TeXShop 1.43 on 10.3.9 (I am waiting for the
dust to settle before I upgrade :-) )

1) I have a Bookfile with a number of included Chapter/n.
Each Chapter/n has an included ExerciseSet/n.
As I recall, things worked beautifully. But:

2) Then I created HomeWork/n files that include Exercise/n so as to be
able to typeset and hand-out ExerciseSet/n as Homework/n. That works
very nicely.

3) Then I added on top of each ExerciseSet/n the line
%!TEX root = ../HomeWork/n.tex
to make it easier to check the source of ExerciseSet/n as I wrote. That
works very nicely.

4) Then, in Bookfile, I added a renewcommand (designed by this list) so
that instead of including the exercises in each chapter whenever I
typeset the whole book (circa 300 pages right now without the
Exercise/n), I could just have the url to make the compile time shorter
and this is what I have been doing for several months now.

However, when I tried yesterday to switch and look at the Magnum Opus in
its full glory, complete with Exercises, I got various error messages,
from "can't find the file" to "can't write on the aux". I wasn't too
surprised since I had reorganized several times the by now some 14,000
files I am using—a lot are the graphics and their pdf but this has also
to do with the fact that the Magnum Opus has to serve in several
different guises.

I have now spent a whole day trying to understand file paths up and down
folders and I think that I finally got to understand how LaTeX works but
now I am getting a message saying "include cannot be nested". Since I
would of course swear on anything that it used to, I am now terminally
stuck as I don't know what it really means and what to do.

So, I would truly appreciate whatever help.

(However, note that none of the above is a disaster since I have not
lost anything other than the ease of switching among different versions.)

Hopeful regards
--schremmer

P.S. By the way, as I was trying carious paths in various situations, I
would often get a blank pdf with "Page -2147 of 1" which is something I
had never had before. Once that happened, nothing would do, even getting
rid of the aux and even the pdf itself. I had to quit TeXShop. I think
that I can reproduce it but I don't think it's worth troubling anyone.
Just a curiosity.