[OS X TeX] texdoc, manuals and TeX distributions

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Nov 4 19:51:45 CET 2006

Le 4 nov. 06 à 19:36, Alex Hamann a écrit :

> Where is the best location (so that texdoc can find them) for pdf-
> manuals of packages or fonts which I added to my teTeX tree? Can I
> just put them in a "manuals" folder in ~library/texmf/tex/latex?
> Secondly, will that change once I switch over to the new TexLive-
> based distribution?

If texdoc works, as other TeX-related tools, by using the kpathsea
library for finding documentation, then the place where to put your
manuals is revealed by kpsewhich (to be typed in Terminal):

kpsewhich --show-path="TeX system documentation"

With the TeXLive-based distro, the output is (reformatted):

.
~/Library/texmf/doc//
!!/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.local/doc//
!!/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.pkgs/doc//
!!/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.gwtex/doc//
!!/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.texlive/doc//
!!/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf/doc//

This indicates, in order of precedence, the directories searched by
texdoc. Once a file of the name provided as argument to texdoc is
found, the search stops and the file is displayed.

The syntax and functionalities of kpsewhich is exposed in
kpathsea.pdf, whose exact location depends on setup:

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/programs/kpathsea.pdf
/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.texlive/doc/kpathsea/kpathsea.pdf

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin