[OS X TeX] TeX based on TeX Live release

Paul Vickers paul.vickers at unn.ac.uk
Fri Nov 3 17:16:39 CET 2006

Bruno Voisin wrote:
> Le 3 nov. 06 à 15:33, Paul Vickers a écrit :
>
>>> kpsewhich --format="TeX system documentation" index.pdf
>>
>> gives nothing at all
>
> And what does the following give:
>
> kpsewhich --show-path="TeX system documentation"
I get .:/Users/paulvickers/Library/texmf/doc//:
!!/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.local/doc//:
!!/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.pkgs/doc//:
!!/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.gwtex/doc//:
!!/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.texlive/doc//:
!!/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf/doc//

And from my new user:
.:/Users/temp/Library/texmf/doc//:
!!/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.local/doc//:
!!/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.pkgs/doc//:
!!/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.gwtex/doc//:
!!/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.texlive/doc//:
!!/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf/doc//

> It seems your kpsewhich is misconfigured, though I don't know what can
> cause this. Some texmf.cnf somewhere. However, given the same happens
> with a brand new virginal account, I can't see how this can happen. Have
> you modified some of the config files inside /etc, like:

Not that I know of. Here are their contents:

> bashrc

# System-wide .bashrc file for interactive bash(1) shells.
if [ -n "$PS1" ]; then PS1='\h:\w \u\$ '; fi
# Make bash check it's window size after a process completes
shopt -s checkwinsize

> csh.cshrc

# System-wide .cshrc file for csh(1).

if ($?prompt) then
         set promptchars = "%#"
         if ($?tcsh) then
                 set prompt = "[%m:%c3] %n%# "
         else
                 set prompt = "[%m:%c3] `id -nu`%# "
         endif
endif

> csh.login

# System-wide .login file for csh(1).

setenv PATH "/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin"
## setloginpath added /usr/local/bin start at Wed Aug  3 10:17:16 BST 2005
## Do not remove the previous line
if ("${uid}" != "0") then
   set path = ( ${path} /usr/local/bin )
endif
## Do not remove the next line
## setloginpath added /usr/local/bin end at Wed Aug  3 10:17:16 BST 2005
## TeX modifications start at Fri Nov  3 13:53:50 GMT 2006
## Do not remove the previous line
if ("${uid}" != "0") then
   set path = ( ${path}
"/usr/local/TeXLive/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current" )
endif
## Do not remove the next line
## TeX modifications end at Fri Nov  3 13:53:50 GMT 2006

> profile

PATH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin"
export PATH

if [ "${BASH-no}" != "no" ]; then
         [ -r /etc/bashrc ] && . /etc/bashrc
fi
## setloginpath added /usr/local/bin start at Wed Aug  3 10:17:16 BST 2005
## Do not remove the previous line
if [ `whoami` != "root" ]
then
   PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin"
   export PATH
fi
## Do not remove the next line
## setloginpath added /usr/local/bin end at Wed Aug  3 10:17:16 BST 2005
## TeX modifications start at Fri Nov  3 13:53:50 GMT 2006
## Do not remove the previous line
if [ `whoami` != "root" ]
then
   PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/TeXLive/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current"
   export PATH
fi
## Do not remove the next line
## TeX modifications end at Fri Nov  3 13:53:50 GMT 2006

> Or have you modified /usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.cnf?

Can't see how as I only installed it yesterday and tried texdoc almost
immediately. The only thing I did was change the location of the tex
engine in TeXShop. Anyway, here's the contents of texmf.cnf

% Our directory setup as explained in $SELFAUTOPARENT/README.gwtex
% TEXMFMAIN contains the TEXMF tree installed by make install of the
programs
TEXMFMAIN = $SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf
% TEXMFTL contains (a subset of) the main TEXMF tree from TeX Live
TEXMFTL = $SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf.texlive
% TEXMFGW contains GW specific defaults and additions
TEXMFGW = $SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf.gwtex
% TEXMFPKGS contains stuff installed on-top-of your installation that may
% hide existing older implementations and that may be removed
TEXMFPKGS = $SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf.pkgs
% TEXMFLOCAL contains any local system TeXadmin overrides
TEXMFLOCAL = $SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf.local
% $VARTEXMF is where texconfig writes its local settings
VARTEXMF = $TEXMFLOCAL
% User texmf trees can be catered for like this...
HOMETEXMF = $HOME/Library/texmf

% Our complete search path, the last three are searched through
% ls-R exclusively, which means that you have to run texhash
% after you have added, moved or deleted files in the tree
TEXMF={$HOMETEXMF,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFPKGS,!!$TEXMFGW,!!$TEXMFTL,!!$TEXMFMAIN}

% If you want to disable the HOME trees, use this:
% TEXMF=!!{$TEXMFLOCAL,TEXMFPKGS$TEXMFGW,$TEXMFTL,$TEXMFMAIN}

% The system trees.  These are the trees that are shared by all the users.
SYSTEXMF = $TEXMFLOCAL;TEXMFPKGS;$TEXMFGW;$TEXMFTL;$TEXMFMAIN

% Where generated fonts may be written.  This tree is used when the sources
% were found in a system tree and either that tree wasn't writable, or the
% varfonts feature was enabled in MT_FEATURES in mktex.cnf.
VARTEXFONTS = /var/tmp/texfonts

% teTeX-3.0 and TL2005+ require these. Note, if you want pre-2005 behaviour,
% set GWTEXVAR to VARTEXMF. That makes foo and foo-sys behave the same
% roughly and close to old-style). Setting GWTEXVAR to HOMETEXMF gives you
% new (incompatible) behaviour
GWTEXVAR=$VARTEXMF
TEXMFVAR = $GWTEXVAR
TEXMFCONFIG = $GWTEXVAR
TEXMFSYSCONFIG = $VARTEXMF
TEXMFSYSVAR = $VARTEXMF

% Where to look for ls-R files.  There need not be an ls-R in the
% directories in this path, but if there is one, Kpathsea will use it.
% This is default set to TEXMF+VARTEXFONTS but without HOMETEXMF
TEXMFDBS = $TEXMFLOCAL;$TEXMFPKGS;$TEXMFGW;$TEXMFTL;$TEXMFMAIN;$VARTEXFONTS

% Make font tfm files is mf files are available
MKTEXTFM = 1

% Make fonts when unavailable (not all fonts are available for pdf directly)
% Useful when using non-pdf-available fonts and going the
tex->dvi->ps->pdf route
MKTEXPK.pdftex = 1
MKTEXPK.pdflatex = 1
MKTEXPK.pdfetex = 1
MKTEXPK.pdfelatex = 1

% Enable \write18 (run shell processes from within TeX job)
% Set to t if needed
% (I think this might have security implications, especially if you
% run tex jobs as administrator, so I keep it turned off by default
shell_escape = f

% Fixes for mixing old and new style locations in TL2004 (according to
% Hans Hagen), adapted in 2006
TEXPSHEADERS		=
.;$TEXMF/{fonts/{enc,map,type1,truetype},dvips,pdftex,tex}//;$TEXMF/{etex,tex,pdftex,dvips,fonts/type1}//
TEXFONTMAPS.dvipdfm	= .;$TEXMF/fonts/map/{dvipdfm,dvips,}//
TEXFONTMAPS.dvipdfmx	= .;$TEXMF/fonts/map/{dvipdfm,dvips,}//
TEXFONTMAPS.pdftex	= .;$TEXMF/fonts/map/{pdftex,dvips,}//
TEXFONTMAPS.pdfetex	= .;$TEXMF/fonts/map/{pdftex,dvips,}//
TEXFONTMAPS.xetex	= .;$TEXMF/fonts/map/{xetex,pdftex,dvips,}//
TEXFONTMAPS.dvips	= .;$TEXMF/fonts/map/{dvips,pdftex,}//
TEXFONTMAPS		=
.;$TEXMF/fonts/map/{$progname,pdftex,dvips,}//;$TEXMF/{$progname,pdftex,dvips}/{config,}//
TEXCONFIG		= .;$TEXMF/{fonts/map,dvips,pdftex,dvipdfmx,dvipdfm}//
PDFTEXCONFIG		= .;$TEXMF/pdftex/{$progname,}//
DVIPDFMINPUTS		= .;$TEXMF/{fonts/map,dvips,pdftex,dvipdfmx,dvipdfm}//

% XeTeX
TEXINPUTS.xelatex =			.;$TEXMF/{xetex,tex}/{xelatex,latex,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.xetex   =			.;$TEXMF/{xetex,tex}/{xetex,plain,generic,}//

Cheers

paul
--
____________________________________
Dr P. Vickers BSc PhD CEng MIEE ILTM

School of Computing, Engineering, & Information Sciences
Northumbria University
Pandon Building, Camden Street
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
NE2 1XE

Tel +44 (0)191 243-7614
Fax +44 (0)870 133-9127
e-mail: paul.vickers at northumbria.ac.uk
web: www.paulvickers.com/northumbria

Northumbria University.

====

This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private
and confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee,
please take no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. Please
that all electronic mail from, to, or within Northumbria University may
be the subject of a request under the Freedom of Information Act 2000
and related legislation, and therefore may be required to be disclosed
to third parties.

This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to
leaving Northumbria University. Northumbria University will not be
liable for any losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.