[OS X TeX] TeX based on TeX Live release

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Thu Nov 2 08:46:41 CET 2006

On Nov 2, 2006, at 06:57 , Simon Spiegel wrote:

> On 02.11.2006, at 00:29, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>
>> The TeX (based on TeX Live) i-Package has been released to all the
>> repositories and so have all the support i-Packages: MusixTeX, CM-
>> Super, CB-Greek and the ConTeXt Updater.
>>
>> (The LaTeX Updater will be removed later. For a recent LaTeX, the
>> TeX Live i-Package is the best choice.)
>>
>> The old and new TeX i-Package can both be installed on a system.
>> They do not interfere.
>>
>> There are two special points of attention when migrating from old
>> to new or when keeping them both available for the time being:
>> - Your personal files in ~/Library/texmf are available for both.
>> Especially configuration files like updmap.cfg (font maps) and
>> language.dat (hyphenation patterns) are not compatible with both
>> systems, mainly because file names differ between the two
>> distributions
>> - If you use TeX from the command line, you get either old or new,
>> depending on what is in the system-wide shell startup settings.
>> The values there are set by the configuration phase of either i-
>> Package and the last configuration run defines what is being set
>> there.
>>
>> One other important note: XeTeX is currently only supported on intel.
>>
>> Default install locations are /usr/local/teTeX (old) and /usr/
>> local/TeXLive (new)
>>
>> The TeX Support i-Packages (except for the LaTeX Updater) can
>> handle both distributions.

> Thanks for your effort and two questions:
>
> - Is there any reason why I should keep the old TeX installation?
> Should I keep it ATM in case things go wrong?

Afaik, there is no reason, but you nevr know, it has seen relatiely
little use by relatively few peopl, so you can expect things to be
missing.

> - If not, what's the best way to get rid of the old installation?

There ar several good ways, but this is what I recommend:

- Install the new TeX and use it for a while
- When you're satisfied:
	- uninstall the old TeX i-Package
	- re-run the new TeX configuration phase (this repairs the CLI
setting that was removed by the old TeX removal)
- When you're unsatisfied because something is missing an dwill not
be fixed soon:
	- re-run the old TeX configuration phase, which switched the CLI
settings back.