[OS X TeX] 1/2" margins

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Nov 1 02:25:49 CET 2006

Hi Alain,

On 01/11/2006, at 12:01 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> Essentially, my setup is as follows (all files are \documentclass
> [11pt]{book}):
>
>    Book.tex with \include{Exercise}
>    Homework.tex with \include{Exercise}
>    Exercise.tex
>
> The idea being to be able to print the Exercise by itself under the
> heading of Homework.tex.
>
> But then, to minimize the paper used for Homework, I thought of
> using smaller margins.  So, as per your suggestion above, I used
> \usepackage{geometry}
> with
>
>    \geometry{paperheight=11in, paperwidth=8.5in, top=0.5in,
> bottom=0.5in, left=0.5in, right=0.5in}
>
> commented out in Book.tex and uncommented in Homework.tex. It works
> fine except for the fact that  the default of \usepackage{geometry}
> is not the same as that of  \documentclass[11pt]{book}.

In a Terminal window, try:

   view `kpsewhich bk11.clo`
or
   more `kpsewhich bk11.clo`

This gives you a look at the file that LaTeX reads to establish
all the various widths/heights/dimensions/etc. when using the
  book.cls  (Book class)  with the  11pt option.

> This would seem to do it but I have no idea how to let the default
> be that of \documentclass[11pt]{book}

Match up the parameters in  bk11.clo  with those for  geometry.sty .

> Very hopeful regards
> --schremmer

Hope this helps,

	Ross