[OS X TeX] Problem with index using memoir

Laurence Frank L.Frank at xs4all.nl
Sun May 28 13:55:05 CEST 2006

>TM> You need to say
>TM>    \documentclass[10pt,...,makeindx]{memoir}

>PO> This is wrong. Memoir doesn't have a makeindx option.

>TM> See also /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/makeindex/makeindex.dvi

>PO>  This is an outdated document. It talks about \documentstyle (LaTeX 209)
>PO>  rather than \documentclass. In LaTeX2e it would be used with
\usepackage.
>PO>  Besides that the option is called makeidx instead of makeindx, and it
>PO>  wouldn't apply to the memoir class anyway. Memoir does have the
equivalent
>PO>  functionality builtin.

I tried this example and it does not work, I stil get the same error
message. Thanks anyway for your contribution, Themis, it would have been
nice if this simple solution worked ...

>PO>  I tried your example, but I had to disable the apacite line as I
don't have
>PO>  that. It runs without problems. Could it be that apacite clobbers the
>PO>  \printindex command. Note that memoir has its own \printindex
definition,
>PO>  so if someway the makeidx package would be loaded I presume it would
>PO>  clobber memoir's definition and generate the error message you see.
>PO>  You can check the log file to see if it is loaded along the way.

Thank you for your contribution. Yes, this is definitely the problem: when
I disable the apacite line, the index is created correctly. So, apacite
and the printindex command cannot be used together within memoir. The
outcome sofar is one problem solved (I can make an index), one problem
gained (I have no reference list): is there an alternative for the apacite
package that  does not clobber the index printing?

Laurence Frank
Department of Methodology and Statistics
Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences
Universiteit Utrecht

E-mail:         L.E.Frank at fss.uu.nl
                    L.Frank at xs4all.nl