[OS X TeX] [OT] Journal abbreviations in bibtex

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu May 25 00:26:40 CEST 2006

On 25 May 2006, at 0:11, Martin Costabel wrote:

> Themis Matsoukas wrote:
>> JT & Andi,
>> Thanks for the links. I meant, however, latex abbreviations, such
>> as \apj, etc.
>
> You want to look at the custom-bib package. In your tetex
> installation, you have it probably in teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/
> latex/custom-bib/. There is a README file and files like
> physjour.mbs or geojour.mbs containing all those abbreviations.
> This is what goes into the bibtex styles when they are created
> using the makebst system.

Note that those are @STRING bibtex macros, not LaTeX macros. A little
grep search & replace should be able to remedy that.

In BBEdit/TextWrangler (or perhaps TeXShop, …) with grep on:

Search for:
     MACRO ?\{(.+?)\} ?\{"(.+?)"\}
and replace with:
     \\newcommand{\\\01}{\02}
on a *copy* of the *jour.mbs files. Afterwards you copy select all
newly created LaTeX macros and insert them in a style file. Note that
these files contain some \newcommand commands themselves, but since
they are .dtx files, those \newcommands appear after % marks, and can
be filtered easily. Manual checking is still needed, but this should
translate the bulk.

Regards,

Maarten
--
'Faith' means not wanting to know what is true.