[OS X TeX] twocolumn documentclass and tables

Morten Høgholm morten.hoegholm at gmail.com
Wed May 24 22:05:58 CEST 2006

On Wed, 24 May 2006 16:55:23 +0200, Henrik L A <henrikla at undermybed.dk>
wrote:

Hej Henrik,

> I'm writing my thesis and I'd like to use a twocolumn-layout. However,
> this seems to cause some problems with my tables, which I want to be
> one-column. I have found an ad hoc solution, but I tought that something
> smarter was maybe possible. My solution is:
>
> \documentclass[a4paper,twocolumn]{article}
> [...]
> bla bla bla
> [...]
>
> \onecolumn
> [table is inserted]
> \twocolumn
>
> But this solution use the margin that "fits" the \twocolumn-environment
> on the table-site (which looks wierd) and it puts the table on a new
> page (I'd like two-column text above and below the table).

Using the starred versions of the figure and table environments will make
them occupy both columns horizontally. There is no need to choose
\onecolumn and \twocolumn manually for that.

If you want to put the wide float in the middle of the page you'll either
have to use the solution Peter outlined or take a look at the TeX Faq he
listed in section `Floating tables, figures, etc.'.
--
Morten