[OS X TeX] Re: Installing a package on Mac-TeX -- chess

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Tue May 23 09:11:35 CEST 2006

On 23 May 2006, at 02:36, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On May 22, 2006, at 7:10 PM, Oleg Kobchenko wrote:
>
>> Herbert,
>>
>> So you solved the installation problem for one set of
>> packages. But you see, it's monolythic, when any
>> of the packages changes, you need to rebuild your
>> whole bundle, otherwise it gets outdated.
>> I was looking for something that would be outside
>> thus independent of packages and their versions.
>>

> Howdy,
>
> I agree. But I just wanted to point out that this particular case
> is solved.

Here is a real weak point of TeX. There is little control over the
tree and layout and names over time. Try to imagine what happens when
a package changes directory structure or file/directory names. You
need to remove the old before you can install the new or you would
end up with two location having (partial) contents (old and new).
Installing once is not a problem. Updating is a nightmare.

This is why currently monolithic texmf trees that are split in chunks
like doc, tex, fonts is what is not only attainable but also
maintainable over the long run with limited effort. Limited effort is
important because if effort is not limited the maintainer will at
some time have to give up. Everyone is human.