[OS X TeX] i-Installer

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Wed May 17 12:05:11 CEST 2006

> I am sorry for this very basic question, but I just do not get it.
> When my tex according to i-Installer is older then both the remote
> and the self version, how do I update the installed version? Do I
> have to reinstall the whole tex?
>
> with embarrassment,

No need to feel embarassed, because it is a very natural question. And if
you encounter this for the first time it might not be intuitive.

The answer is yes, you need to reinstall the "whole TeX", or more
precisely, you have to reinstall the TeX i-Package. But luckily, the TeX
i-Package itself contains about 35 separate chunks and only those are
downloaded that have changed and that are needed depending on your
install-choices. E.g. if you select to install and you choose the 2005
version (default) the 2004 and 2003 binaries are not downloaded, even if
they would have been updated (e.g. with bugfixes).

Installing installs the local i-Package local onto your local disk. You
have two locations on your disk that are relevant. The package lives in
one place (~/Documents/i-Packages/tex.ii2) and the software installed from
inside the package onto your disk lives in another place
(/usr/local/teTeX). Installing installs from the (compressed) package onto
a location on your disk so you can use it.

Your local i-Package can be updated from a remote i-Package. That is the
third location that plays a role. In a scheme:

Remote i-Package <-A-> Local i-Package (Self) <-B-> Local Installation

<-A-> is updating/downloading
<-B-> is installing/configuring (and uninstalling)

<-A-> is also a 'slave' of <-B->, that is, if you click on
Install/Configure/Uninstall you will get an option of updating (if remote
has changed) and downloading will be automatic.

<-A-> can be done separately and this offers you the possibility to
inspect the new i-Package before installing it. Nobody almost ever does
it, but the possibility is there as a matter of principle.

The Help of i-Installer contains more information.

PS. I think there is currently still a buglet that after installation the
ïnstalled version" timestamp is not immediately changed in the Pkg
Properties tab. Closing and opening the i-Package will show you the
updated install.