[OS X TeX] Freeze

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sat May 13 15:21:58 CEST 2006

On 12 May 2006, at 20:42, Richard Koch wrote:

> Folks,
>
> After the security update on Intel, TeX seems to work fine. I just
> tested the MacTeX install
> package, which continues to work. As I've informed Gerben, i-
> Installer 2.76.0
> works fine but 2.77 exhibits the freeze.

I advise against running i-Installer 2.76 on intel (or any native
intel version) because there are still unresolved mysteries here (at
least under 10.4.4 and 10.4.5). The fact that 2.76 does not trigger
the bug does not mean it is a good replacement. It is not for nothing
that I have pulled the intel native version of i-Installer. Apple is
not very fast in adressing the problem here (I've been waiting for
months now).

Note, not so much i-Installer exhibits the freeze, but the system
exhibits the freeze. i-Installer is just one of many ways that the
freeze bug is triggered. My gut feeling says that Rosetta is a likely
candidate.

I advise against applying the latest Security Fix Apple has posted on
Intel systems until it has been fixed.