[OS X TeX] (OT) bibliography

Themis Matsoukas matsoukas at psu.edu
Thu May 11 15:32:48 CEST 2006

I have a latex file with its bbl companion, which looks like

    \begin{thebibliography}{}
    \bibitem{foo1}
    \end{thebibliography}

This produces a /numbered/ list of references. Is it possible to
suppress the numbers in the reference list? I mean, is there a simple
change that I can make in the bbl file that would suppress these
numbers? Obviously, I am trying to avoid having to create a bib file
out of the bbl which I could then run with latex/bibtex and the
appropriate bst.  I tried \bibitem[]{foo1}, which indeed removes the
numbers but still prints the empty brackets [] in front of each
reference.

Themis