[OS X TeX] Re: [XeTeX] texdoc, was: Microtypography?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed May 10 13:45:22 CEST 2006

Am 10.05.2006 um 11:45 schrieb Bruno Voisin:

> 	Warning: Cannot install perltk, don't know what it is.

Sorry for this, Bruno! I did not remember correctly, I think the
right invocation would be "sudo -H cpan -i Tk" to install the
Tk-804.027 Perl Module ...

Well, cpan needs at least one programme to fetch via FTP or HTTP the
sources from the CPAN. NcFTP, wget: they're so common, they're always
available for me (they are also in Fink and Darwinports) ...

http://www.ncftp.com/ncftp/ is the home page and ftp://ftp.ncftp.com/
ncftp/binaries/ncftp-3.1.9-macosx10.3.dmg is the client, i.e. the
programme that gets (or puts) files. It's an Installer package which
will put into /usr/bin the ncftp* programmes. I think in Panther
NcFTP was part of the BSD package, in Tiger Apple brings us curl ...

Wget can be found here http://www.statusq.org/archives/
2005/02/22/610/ as http://www.statusq.org/images/wget.zip, it needs
some manual work to install, though. There is a real Cocoa
application, CocoaWget: http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley/8916/
Macintosh/CocoaWget_en.html. It's a stand-alone GUI, so its wget is
not available on the command line.

GPG is here at home: http://macgpg.sourceforge.net/. GNU Privacy
Guard 1.4.3 (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/macgpg/GnuPG1.4.3.dmg?
download) is an Installer package with all the necessary files. The
programmes will be installed in /usr/local/bin. There are nice add-
ons: GPGPreferences (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/macgpg/
GPGPreferences-1.2.dmg?download) and GPG Keychain Access (http://
prdownloads.sourceforge.net/macgpg/GPG_Keychain_Access.0.7.0.1.zip?
download), and particularly this plug-in for Mail: http://
www.sente.ch/software/GPGMail/English.lproj/GPGMail.html. (GPG is
also in Fink and Darwinports, Fink has a version with IDEA.) With
this software my digital signature will make more sense ...

Lynx is an "ASCII" WWW browser: http://hsivonen.iki.fi/os-x-
browsers/. It's home could be this: http://www.osxgnu.org/. There are
two kinds of Lynx: one that connects over SSL (Secure Socket Layer),
which would be appropriate to visit WWW sites and to read and send
one's eMail via Web interfaces, and an always more up-to-date version
without SSL. The latter is OK to fetch sources. I see lynx as a last
resort ... (also in Fink and Darwinports)

Removing the "scrap" you have now: "sudo rm -rf /var/root/.cpan" --
cd'ing to /var/root does not work because only root is allowed to
enter this directory. (Since you have X11 in some useful state, you
made experiments with texdoctk, you can launch 'sudo -H xterm -ls'
and backgrounding it, and you have a root login session! Fontconfig
might slow down things the first time. This session might be more
appropriate to work with cpan. I am using GNU Emacs for this.)

Indeed, texdoctk based an Qt and Aqua would be the better choice than
an X11 client. There is also a TclTk implementation for Aqua: http://
tcltkaqua.sourceforge.net/. Up to Jaguar I used it to use TkMan:
http://tkman.sourceforge.net, but did not like the GUI elements then
(too big) ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

"No man was ever taken to hell by a woman unless he already had a
  ticket in his pocket, or at least had been fooling around with
  timetables."  -- Archie Goodwin