[OS X TeX] Re: [XeTeX] Microtypography?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed May 10 10:29:57 CEST 2006

Le 10 mai 06 à 05:32, Charilaos Skiadas a écrit :

> Just out of curiosity, is this dedicated database available outside
> of this perl module? I wouldn't mind adding support for texdoc in
> my favorite editor, but it would be better if it was intelligent
> enough to understand various keywords.

It's a simple plain text file /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/
texdoctk/texdoctk.dat, used by texdoctk (not texdoc).

Le 10 mai 06 à 06:22, Victor Ivrii a écrit :

> One of the problems with texdoc (do not use texdoctk much even if I
> installed it)
> is the lack of any reasonable help. While there is a file defining
> partially texdoctk behavior
>
> ...../texdoctk/texdocrc.defaults
>
> such file semmnot exist for texdoc and it is not clear what search
> path of it

This file is normally used by texdoc, according to its included
comments, unless the user has defined a ~/.texdocrc file (how I hate
these ~/. invisible files, instead of proper visible OS X pref files
inside ~/Library/Preferences/ or ~/Library/Application Support/).
However, according to Peter Dyballa, texdocrc.defaults isn't actually
used by texdoc, and instead it's the corresponding code inside the
script itself (/Library/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/texdoc
or /Library/teTeX/bin/i386-apple-darwin-current/texdoc) that defines
texdoc's behaviour:

# Viewing programs, according to filename extension.  (You can
# override or add to them by setting environment variables).
# MacOS X: does not have X11 by default, so give dvi a low priority
case `(uname -s) 2>/dev/null` in
   Darwin)
	: ${TEXDOCVIEW_dvi='(open %s >/dev/console 2>&1 || xdvi %s &) ||
echo "Method for opening %s did not work"'}
	: ${TEXDOCVIEW_ps='open %s'}
	: ${TEXDOCVIEW_pdf='open %s'}
	: ${TEXDOCVIEW_html='open %s'}
	: ${TEXDOCVIEW_txt="open -a TextEdit.app %s"}
	: ${TEXDOCVIEW_="open -a TextEdit.app %s"} # no extension, default
to pager
         extlist='.pdf .ps .txt .dvi .html'
	;;
   *)
	: ${TEXDOCVIEW_dvi='(xdvi %s) &'}
	: ${TEXDOCVIEW_pdf='(acroread %s) &'}
	: ${TEXDOCVIEW_ps='(gv %s) &'}
	: ${TEXDOCVIEW_html='mozilla -remote openURL'"'(%s)'"' 2>/dev/null
|| mozilla %s &'}
	: ${TEXDOCVIEW_txt="${PAGER-more} %s"}
	: ${TEXDOCVIEW_="${PAGER-more} %s"} # no extension, default to pager

extlist='.dvi .dvi.gz .dvi.bz2 .pdf .pdf.gz .pdf.bz2 .ps .ps.gz .ps.bz2
.txt .txt.gz .txt.bz2 .html'

         # Commands run to uncompress files, according to filename
extension.
         : ${TEXDOCUNZIP_gz='gzip -d -c'}
         : ${TEXDOCUNZIP_bz2='bzip2 -d -c'}
	;;