[OS X TeX] TeXniscope problems after LaTeX upgrade

Jose Figueroa-O'Farrill j.m.figueroa at ed.ac.uk
Thu May 4 15:05:55 CEST 2006

Hi again,

Many thanks to those who responded.

>>>>> "Bruno" == Bruno Voisin <bvoisin at mac.com> writes:

Bruno> TeXniscope uses dvipdfmx, not dvipdfm. Does running dvipdfmx instead
Bruno> of dvipdfm alter the behaviour you're seeing?

Yes, there is an error with dvipdfmx:

** WARNING ** This .map file looks like a dvips format fotmap file.
** WARNING ** -- Current input buffer is: HoeflerTextOrnaments hoeflertextornaments <hoeflertextornaments.enc
** WARNING ** -- Reading fontmap file stopped at: file="dvipdfm.map", line=6.

as a result if does not read the full dvipdfm.map file and it
therefore dies later when trying to mktexpk a font appearing later in
the .map file.

The offending line seems to be

HoeflerTextOrnaments <hoeflertextornaments.enc <HoeflerTextOrnaments.ttf

in

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/fonts/map/pdftex/gtamacfonts/gtamacfonts.map

I don't know anything about the format of .map files, but this line seems
very different to the rest.

Bruno> The [dvipdfm] option has nothing to see with the amsart class, and
Bruno> must be passed on to additional packages you're loading like
Bruno> graphics, graphicx or hyperref. Could you suppress it as an option to
Bruno> amsart, and put it back as an option to these packages one by hand,
Bruno> and see what happens?

My understanding is that this 'dvipfdm' option is global and would be
passed on to any other package which understands it.  This has always
worked in the past for me.  Is this incorrect?

Thanks again,

José