[OS X TeX] LaTeX Updater i-Package updated

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Tue May 2 23:12:27 CEST 2006

On May 2, 2006, at 00:10, Alex Hamann wrote:

> On 01.05.2006, at 16:03, Enrico Franconi wrote:
>

>> On 1 May 2006, at 22:50, Josep M. Font wrote:
>>> The tricky point will come if and when, in the future, the
>>> all-encompassing i-package "TeX" is updated, in case it contains an
>>> even newer LaTeX release. Then you will have to do two things, in no
>>> particular order (I think): (1) install the new "TeX" as always;
>>> this will overwrite the main directory, but not the "local" one. (2)
>>> Uninstall the "LaTeX updater" i-package, by opening it with
>>> i-Installer and choosing "Uninstall" in the main window. This will
>>> erase the alternative LaTeX installation in the "local" directory
>>> (now, superseded by a new version). This second step is necessary
>>> because, as the "local" directory is found first, TeX would use it
>>> instead of the newest release just installed in the main directory.
>>
>> This is definitely non natural, and I guess most people will simply
>> forget.
>> --e.
>
> Being a newbie myself I would say that Tex will always require some
> commitment. I think people can expected to remember the procedure
> described above. is it really that bad?

No, but I still strive to get a situation where it is not necessary for
people to remember stuff like this. It should 'just work'.

The main reason for this situation is that my source for the main texmf
tree (teTeX) is dead. teTeX is no longer being maintained as a separate
distribution. Hence, the TeX i-Package will need to get an overhaul
anyway, to replace teTeX 3 with something derived from TeX Live's
Master tree. Too bad but unavoidable.

A LaTeX updater makes more sense during a beta cycle or during the
initial period of release indeed. At this point, only the fact that
teTeX will not be updated makes it useful to have an updater until
teTeX is replaced with something else.