[OS X TeX] avoid space when pasting in TeXShop

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Fri Mar 31 19:13:54 CEST 2006

On Mar 31, 2006, at 09:02, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> On Mar 31, 2006, at 10:36 AM, Justin C. Walker wrote:
>
>>  - if you double-click TEST, and TEST is a word by itself (spaces/
>> newlines surround it), then pasting *will* include the spaces.
>>
> Hm, this certainly seems to be a "feature" in NSTextView, the view
> that TeXShop is using. If you select the word by double-clicking,
> it seems to understand that you selected a word and will insert it
> "smartly", adding spaces as it sees appropriate. Same thing happens
> in TextEdit.
>
> Very interesting...

The Apple Human Interface guide suggests that this is desirable
behavior for Mac OS X: <http://developer.apple.com/documentation/
UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/XHIGUserInput/
chapter_11_section_4.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000361-TP23>

> My guess then is that this can not be easily turned off, i.e. it is
> not something TeXShop is doing, it's the system's behavior.

Looks like it can be disabled with setSmartInsertDeleteEnabled:NO
(but then you have an inconsistent user experience).

Adam