[OS X TeX] sharing texmf trees between OS X and linux

Thomas A. Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Mon Mar 27 19:40:13 CEST 2006

Thanks for your reply Pete!

On Mar 27, 2006, at 11:15 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Which are the directory paths in this ls-R file? Are they synonyms
> to ~/texmf or to the mounting point? In the latter case there is
> indeed a restriction in the number of levels in the file system
> hierarchy, although I cannot remember where it is documented
> (TDS?). (Where or what is this $HOMETEXMF? What about creating a
> directory ~/texmf with symlinks to /mnt/osx/Users/tas/Library/texmf/
> * in this directory?)

The ls-R takes everything from the directory it's in and gives only
relative paths from there.

> Why do you need to have another Linux home directory? Can't it be /
> mnt/osx/Users/tas? In case you have two sorts of personal binaries
> directories you could put them into ~/`uname -s`-bin or such ...

No, that wouldn't be practical. Since linux and OS X aren't quite the
same, there's a number of files that need to be similar yet subtly
different in both such as .zshenv, .emacs, .vimrc, etc.

> Why do you mount the data 'there' when you need it 'here?' Creating
> a directory ~/texmf and mounting /Users/tas/Library/texmf in ~/
> texmf would make things simpler ... but it would make it necessary
> learn a bit of NFS (Network File System)! NFS can 'export' a tree
> (make it available for mounting somewhere on the net, restricted to
> particular IP addresses or IP names) on the server side, and it can
> mount this tree on the client side. Server and client side can be
> on the same computer. There should also be a loopback mount option
> in Linux ...

OK, I'll have a look at it, but it sounds complex. And you seem to
remember that there's some limit to nested levels, right?

Thanks

Thomas