[OS X TeX] sharing texmf trees between OS X and linux

Thomas A. Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Mon Mar 27 09:48:36 CEST 2006

I'm not sure if this is the right venue to ask this question, but
then, I have no clue what could be the right venue. I have a double-
boot system on my iBook, with a Fedora Core 5 system on 1 partition
and OS X 10.4.5 on the other. Since space is a bit scarce on this
rather old iBook, I was trying to share texmf-trees across the
different systems, and I run into a problem that I remember I was
experiencing before, on a gentoo system: I can mount the OS X
partitions in linux and read and write to them without a problem, so
I placed symlinks into the linux partition that point to the texmf-
trees in OS X. TeX, i.e., kpsewhich basically finds the files there
UNLESS the directories are nested too deeply. As an example, in
linux, I have a symlink ~/texmf which points to /mnt/osx/Users/tas/
Library/texmf. kpsewhich will find ~/texmf/fonts/tfm/foo.tfm, but it
will not find ~/texmf/fonts/tfm/adobe/garamond/foo.tfm. Does anybody
have any experience with this? I have no idea if this is a problem
with kpsewhich or with the hfsplus drivers in linux.

One piece of information may be relevant: in Fedora, TeX would at
first be set up to create ls-R files in HOMETEXMF as well. I looked
at the ls-R, and it contained, as far as I could see, all the
filenames. But whenever I called TeX, there was an error message that
"the ls-R database contains no useable entries" or something to that
effect.

Any pointers would be appreciated. I receive the digests, so please
cc me when replying.

Thanks, and best

Thomas