[OS X TeX] Algorithmic Quotes

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Fri Mar 17 03:02:28 CET 2006

Please bear with me. I'm a noob who's only now installing and trying to
learn LaTeX.

There's something that bugs me (other than the PTSD caused by
installing TeX, that is). It's a small point, but a huge annoyance
AFAIC -- the lack of algorithmic quotation marks.

I understand I have to adapt my habits, and usually I have no problem
doing so. However, in this instance I find it extremely annoying
because it's so obviously wrong: two single quotes do not a double
quote make; an accent grave is an accent grave, and a single quote is a
single quote, and never the twain shall meet!

I find it strange that, in this day and age, I have to handle such
typographical minutiae myself, when I'm supposed to concentrate on
content and structure and let LaTeX do the typesetting. (I am aware of
the issue of ambiguity; but that's what the silicon is supposed to
handle, rather than the precious few neurons I've left...)

So far, I've found two options: either use the \lq and \rq (or define
my own command, because \lq\lq for " is a bit of a mouthful); or use an
input encoding package. Obviously, both are less than satisfactory. Is
there a way to have the much-vaunted LaTeX do what the much-maligned
Word does dexterously?

thanx