[OS X TeX] spaces in names

Roberto Avanzi roberto.avanzi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 16:42:17 CET 2006

On 16 Mar 2006, at 09:17, Massimiliano Gubinelli wrote:

> Hi all,
>  I was trying to compile a tex file which has spaces in its name,
> but pdflatex does not like it in any sauce I proposed to him...
>
>> examples:
>> ------------------------------
>> [mgubi:~/Desktop/TXS spaces bug] mgubi% pdflatex "test 1.tex"
>> This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.3-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5)
>> entering extended mode
>> ! I can't find file `"test 1.tex"'.
>> <*> "test 1.tex"
>>
>> Please type another input file name:

try

\input{"test 1.tex"}

this works under latex and pdflatex (Web2C 7.5.5) and
probably in a few slightly older versions.
I would avoid spaces in TeX filenames anyway.

> could someone give me hints on what it wrong with me?

Oh, there's absolutely nothing wrong with you.
Sooner or later we all stumble into this problem ;-)

Read for example the discussions in

http://www.tug.org/pipermail/tex-k/2005-April/001287.html

and in

http://wiki.lyx.org/LaTeX/FilesWithSpecialChars

You might be able to include a file with spaces in the
filename, but at the moment this is not reliable, many
TeX installations around are just still too old to support
that anyway and you never know what happens when you
send your source files to the publisher.  Recently
I had some HORRIBLE discussions with people from
Springer Verlag that displayed an incomprehensible
amount of incompetence regarding typesetting questions:
after the takeover by the Bertelsmann group they
going down down down (I fear they might require word
format files from us very soon).

  ciao ciao
   Roberto