[OS X TeX] Spell Check in TeXShop?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Mar 16 12:09:04 CET 2006

Le 16 mars 06 à 11:02, Jérôme Laurens a écrit :

> Le 14 mars 06, à 22:48, Bruno Voisin a écrit :
>
>> Unfortunately not. Similarly it's very inconvenient in Mail to
>> have to switch dictionaries manually all day long, when writing
>> indifferently messages in several languages (in my case two:
>> French and English).
>
> Pages can use different dictionaries/languages in the same document.
> So this is perfectly possible with OS X to do such a thing.
> The Pages user is expected to add a language attribute to any part
> of the text.
> This language attribute is stored in the file.
>
> Doing such a thing is not possible with mail, because the mail file
> format does not authorize it.
> It is not a limitation of Mac OS X, but a limitation on the mail
> system.

Sorry, I'd been unclear. What I referred to wasn't being unable to
use multiple dictionaries within the same email message, but having
to switch dictionaries constantly through the Spelling panel when
writing one message in French, then one in English, then another in
French, and so forth.

The problem here (IMO) isn't the functionality, but the interface: it
would be nice to have a keyboard shortcut to switch between
dictionaries, in the same way as Cmd-Space rotates between Input
Methods (ie French keyboard, Numerical French keyboard, American
keyboard etc.) in the International pref panel and menu; otherwise
you have to navigate through Edit > Spelling > Spelling... (or use
Cmd-:) -- no this isn't a smiley --, then select the appropriate
dictionary in the Dictionary pull-down menu.

An alternative is to leave the Spelling panel open all the time, but
I find it unfortunate to lose screen estate, à la Adobe Illustrator
or Photoshop, just for this. All the more so since, AFAIK, panels in
OS X have the very annoying behaviour -- I really wonder in which
state the Apple GUI designers were on the day when they designed this
-- of always sticking on top of regular windows, hiding their content.

In an off-list message Gary Gray pointed out the existence of the
Multilingual dictionary, but neither he nor I could find any
documentation about it. What does it do? I imagine it would yield
false positives for words with slightly different spellings in
different languages (like "Ressource" in French and "Resource" in
English, or "behaviour" in UK English and "behavior" in US English).

Speaking about Cmd-Space, the Keyboard Shortcuts tab in the Keyboard
& Mouse pref panel reports a shortcut "clash" between SpotLight and
Input Menu, which both use Cmd-Space. Is it just on my setup? I did
nothing to customize this, as I use neither. Or is it a conflict
between one -- either Input Menu or SpotLight -- using a shortcut
attached to the "function" of a key -- such as the letter m which
corresponds to different physical keys in different keyboard layouts
--, and the other -- either SpotLight or Input Menu -- using a
shortcut attached to a physical key, like the Finder's Rotate Window
function which is always associated with the first key on the right
of the left Caps key, independently from the keyboard layout? In that
case, the clash would only occur on French keyboards.