[OS X TeX] Re: Best Equation editor

J. McKenzie Alexander jalex at lse.ac.uk
Thu Mar 16 11:10:36 CET 2006

> What is considered best often depends on what is on hand. I use
> Mathematica extensively for data analysis and other purposes. So,
> for me, given I am quite familiar with Mathematica and I have it on
> hand, the best equation editor is Mathematica.

One thing to note - which is quite nice if you use Keynote - is that
you can copy a displayed (formatted) equation from a Mathematica cell
as a PICT, and paste that directly into Keynote.  The PICT graphic
format is, if I understand correctly, one capable of handling both
bitmap and vector formats.  And it just so happens that Mathematica
will copy a vector format of PICT to the clipboard, unless you ask
specifically for a bitmap.

What this means is that, if you don't mind the Mathematica fonts, you
can use the Mathematica Front End (or Publicon, that works too) as a
wysiwyg equation editor for Keynote.  The equations you paste in are
smooth and can be scaled to any extent.

Cheers,

Jas

--
J. McKenzie Alexander
Department of Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method