[OS X TeX] Spell Check in TeXShop?

Jérôme Laurens jerome.laurens at u-bourgogne.fr
Thu Mar 16 11:02:49 CET 2006

Le 14 mars 06, à 22:48, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> Le 14 mars 06 à 19:44, Rolf Schmolling a écrit :
>
>> I am using TexShop (2.09b) together with cocoAspell on an iBook
>> 800Mhz/640Ram (10.4.5) and it works reasonably fast. Via context-menu
>> one can add to a personal dictionary; it catches latex-syntax
>> reasonably well even German umlauts " "u" etc.. The only caveat I
>> have is that it's awkward to use when there are several different
>> languages within the text. I think that is a limitation of the
>> built-in OSX spellchecker as well. If anybody knows a way around
>> this, I'd be most grateful!
>
> Unfortunately not. Similarly it's very inconvenient in Mail to have to
> switch dictionaries manually all day long, when writing indifferently
> messages in several languages (in my case two: French and English).

Pages can use different dictionaries/languages in the same document.
So this is perfectly possible with OS X to do such a thing.
The Pages user is expected to add a language attribute to any part of
the text.
This language attribute is stored in the file.

Doing such a thing is not possible with mail, because the mail file
format does not authorize it.
It is not a limitation of Mac OS X, but a limitation on the mail system.

For the particular case of LaTeX, the language is somehow encoded in
the file.
So it is in theory possible to have the spell checker switch to the
appropriate dictionary while parsing the file.
 From the developer point of view, there are 2 problems. The first one
is to find the appropriate dictionary,
the second one is to ask the spell checker to use it properly.
This last point is rather easy.
The former needs a parsing of the LaTeX document and this operation is
extremely time consuming, much more than syntax coloring especially
when the language switches are spread between different documents.
Pages uses XML, and language parsing has no supplemental cost.

One viable solution is to use a simple rule: one file one language and
split the document accordingly.
This is how iTeXMac2 behaves. One advantage is that it is not tied to
LaTeX. But this is actually not comfortable if the document contains
many language switches. It would be more comfortable if included
documents were viewed inside the container (something like auctex does
with graphics docs)

It seems evident that one cannot guess for sure the language from a
single word, just because some languages are so close from each other.

So Mac OS X is able to deal with different languages in the same
document, but it is very hard when sticking to LaTeX.