[OS X TeX] Dots in file names

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Thu Mar 16 02:02:00 CET 2006

How can you tell \includegraphics or TeXShop or teTeX or MacOS that
in "Fig.I.1.1" there is no extension (the system is aware that this
is a .eps file, of course), and that in "Fig.I.1.1.eps", the
extension is .eps. ?

Instead of that :

  \includegraphics{Fig.I.1.1} returns   ! LaTeX Error: Unknown
graphics extension: .I.1.1.

\includegraphics{Fig.I.1.1.eps} returns   ! LaTeX Error: Unknown
graphics extension: .I.1.1.eps.

By the way, Fig-I-1-1.eps works, but any file name beginning with a
"-" sign yields an immediate fatal error.

If dots, slashes, backslashes are forbidden, and "-" is hazardous,
how do you separate chapter, section, etc. numbers in file names ?
Using dots, as used by LaTeX, seemed to be the standard way,...

André Bellaïche