[OS X TeX] Spell Check in TeXShop?

Jung-Tsung Shen jushen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 01:38:46 CET 2006

On 3/13/06, Alessandro Languasco <ale.languasco at poc.it> wrote:
> Try Excalibur by Rick Zaccone
>
> http://www.eg.bucknell.edu/~excalibr/excalibur.html
>
> It's not a spell-checker as the one you have in TeXShop
> in the sense that it has to be used after you saved your TeX
> or LaTeX file.
>
> By the way, I think that TeXShop uses the Apple spell-checker
> and dictionaries, but I'm not so sure...
>
> Alessandro

Thanks everyone for the very helpful and, as always, extremely fast
response. I didn't realize that TeXShop was using the default Apple
spell checker and dictionary. :P I am also relieved to learn that it's
a generic problem on the OS side.

  I have installed cocoAspell but am a bit confused by what it really
does: it seems that it doesn't replace the default "check spelling as
you type" behavior, but only provide a new (in my case)
English(Aspell) dictionary? The default dictionary is already more
than sufficient for me already.

I have also downloaded the old friend Excalibur. [Didn't realize they
had Mac OS X version.]

In general, the above two programs are very good in their own way.
It's just that nothing beats a functioning "check spelling as you
type" program for a person who constantly misspells.