[OS X TeX] Publicon today

Daniel Flatin dflatin at rcn.com
Sun Mar 12 15:32:55 CET 2006

It has been two years since Wolfram released Publicon. I was
wondering if anyone on this list uses this tool today. If so, do you
use it as a stand alone document tool or a work environment that you
export to a LaTeX rendering environment? I have been happy with
TeXShop so far, but I find myself struggling with customizing
document formats. There are so many different solutions within LaTeX
in general, and in many cases the solutions are small, purpose
specific, and supported by a single author. The fancyhdr package by
Piet van Oostrum comes to mind. Any complete LaTeX working
environment is a pastiche of different packages, each with it's own
documentation, and perhaps second order documentation about how two
packages interact. It seems endless.

I use Mathematica quite a lot, and I was thinking that Publicon might
be a good bridge at least to getting that work into LaTeX. What I
need for work is the ability to strictly format front matter, header,
and footer information. It looks like Publicon provides some template
or style sheet customization. The folding outline approach like
Mathematica is also nice. I guess my questions distill down to:

(1) Does anyone like this tool?
(2) Does the customization capability work?
(3) Does its output play well with standard LaTeX?

Thanks in advance,
Dan