[OS X TeX] pdf v1.6 problem

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri Mar 10 01:34:36 CET 2006

Hi Will and Chris,

On 10/03/2006, at 7:28 AM, William Adams wrote:

> I believe you need to add
>
> \pdfoptionpdfminorversion=5

To up the version number for all jobs, include a line

pdf_minorversion 6

within the  pdftex.cfg  file.
To find this file, use in a terminal:

    kpsewhich -progname=pdftex pdftex.cfg

> (or maybe 6 or 7?) to your document preamble. Check the pdftex
> manual, but if memory serves, that's the option for controlling
> supported version.

No, that's not quite correct.
This parameter controls the *warning message* that is produced.

That is, if you set the number higher than what the pdfTeX binary
**actually** supports, then pdfTeX now says something like:

  Version 1.6 is a higher PDF version than is supported (1.5).
  Trying anyway.

So maybe it'll work, maybe not.
Presumably this depends on whether any 1.6 specific stuff
is actually used in the imported image.
In practice I've not had any trouble (that I'm aware of)
importing images that purport to be 1.6.

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au