[OS X TeX] Problem with TeX processing of SGML

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Thu Mar 9 02:45:58 CET 2006

Peter Dyballa wrote:

  > References are evaluated when you run tex a second time. Sometimes,
  > when page-breaks change, a third run is needed.
  >
  > The reason is that on the first run an auxiliary file is created that
  > contains these marks. In a second run this auxiliary file is
  > integrated.

Sorry, I didn't mention, I'm already doing three runs.

I have, though, found out some more information since before.  I get
some warnings like "LaTeX Warning: Reference `5123' on page 127
undefined on input line 98347".  At line 98347 of my TeX file I find this:

{\def\Element%
{15219}}\Link%
{\def\Element%
{5123}}\Node%
{\def\Element%
{5123}\def\ProcessingMode%
{toc-page-number-mode}}\insertCurrentNodePageNumber%
{\def\Element%
{5123}}\endNode{}\endLink{}\endNode{},
      \Node%

Then earlier in the TeX file I find element 5123 defined thus:

{\def\Element%
{5123}}\Seq%
{}\endSeq{}\endNode{} on democracy\Node%

Page 127 in the PDF output is a page of the index.

I don't know enough about TeX to know what's going on here.  Help!

In case you want to know what versions of things I'm running, it's Mac
OS X 10.3.9, OpenJade 1.3.2, OpenSP4 1.5.1, JadeTex 3.13, DocBook DTD
4.3.0, DocBook DSSSL N Walsh 1.78 and TeTex 2.0.2.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor