[OS X TeX] converting jpg to eps

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Mar 8 07:48:59 CET 2006

Le 7 mars 06 à 20:41, Piet van Oostrum a écrit :

> My man convert gives:
> Convert recognizes the following image formats:
>         o  EPS       *rw- Adobe Encapsulated PostScript
>         o  EPS2      *-w- Adobe Level II Encapsulated PostScript
>         o  EPS3      *-w- Adobe Level III Encapsulated PostScript
>         o  EPSF      *rw- Adobe Encapsulated PostScript
>         o  EPSI      *rw- Adobe Encapsulated PostScript
>                           Interchange format
> FILES AND FORMATS
>        By default, the image format is determined by its magic
> number,  i.e.,
>        the  first few bytes of the file. To specify a particular
> image format,
>        precede  the  filename  with  an  image  format  name
> and   a   colon
>        (i.e.ps:image)  or  specify the image type as the filename
> suffix.  The
>        magic number takes precedence over the filename suffix and
> the  prefix
>        takes  precedence  over the magic number and the suffix in
> input files.
>        The prefix takes precedence over the filename suffix in
> output  files.
>
> So this implies the eps2:file.eps format.

Lucky you are! Here, with an i-Installer installed ImageMagick, "man
convert" yields:

> convert(1)
> convert(1)
>

> NAME
>

>        convert  -  convert  between  image formats as well as
> resize an image,
>        blur, crop, despeckle, dither, draw on, flip, join, re-
> sample, and much
>        more.
>
> SYNOPSIS
>

>        convert input-file [options] output-file
>
> OVERVIEW
>

>        The  convert  program is a member of the ImageMagick(1)
> suite of tools.
>        Use it to convert between image formats as well  as  resize
> an  image,
>        blur, crop, despeckle, dither, draw on, flip, join, re-
> sample, and much
>        more.
>
>        For more information about the convert command, point your
> browser  to
>        file:///usr/local/share/doc/ImageMagick-6.2.6/www/
> convert.html       or
>        http://www.imagemagick.org/script/convert.php.
>
>        Run `convert -help' to get a summary of the convert command
> options.
>
> SEE-ALSO
>        ImageMagick(1)
>

> COPYRIGHT
>

>        Copyright (C) 1999-2005 ImageMagick Studio LLC.  Additional
> copyrights
>        and   licenses   apply   to  this  software,  see  http://
> www.imagemag-
>        ick.org/script/license.php
>

> ImageMagick                Date: 2005/03/01 01:00:00
> convert(1)

With "convert -help" I get the info about "FILES AND FORMATS":

> legimc11:~ brunovoisin$ convert -help
> Version: ImageMagick 6.2.6 02/10/06 Q16 http://www.imagemagick.org
> Copyright: Copyright (C) 1999-2006 ImageMagick Studio LLC
>
> [...]
>
> By default, the image format of `file' is determined by its magic
> number.  To specify a particular image format, precede the filename
> with an image format name and a colon (i.e. ps:image) or specify the
> image type as the filename suffix (i.e. image.ps).  Specify 'file' as
> '-' for standard input or output.

but not the one about EPS2 etc.

Is this a version problem, or some consequence of the install
procedure (i-Installer vs Fink vs DarwinPorts vs compiling from source)?