[OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest #1665 - 03/07/06

John Vokey vokey at uleth.ca
Wed Mar 8 06:02:51 CET 2006

Seriously: brilliant plotted graphics, and just about anything else
you want statistically and programmatic.  Cross-platform and free
(GPL).  See: <http://www.r-project.org/>  See Rcmdr (among many other
packages) for a GUI.

On 7-Mar-06, at 6:00 PM, TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List wrote:

> What do folks recommend for plotting/fitting software?  I'm really
> liking how "Plot" is shaping up, and I admit I'm weary of ports of
> gnuplot and the like, and especially anything with no GUI.  I ask both
> for myself, and to use with upper-level undergraduate courses.
>
> I'm willing to consider a license or two of something expensive [my
> colleague Gordon would be butting in here with "Igor!  Igor!"], but
> I am
> particularly interested in cheap/free/gpl-type software that can be
> widely distributed in student labs and the like.
>
> I hate to add this, but I'm especially interested in what
> free/gpl/whatever type software might be a good choice for Windows,
> since that's what's in a lot of the student labs here.  (Cross
> platform
> file format would be keen, therefore, but not absolutely essential.)
>
> More generally, is there a good list for these kinds of Mac-
> oriented [if
> not exclusively Mac] scientific-computing questions?
>
> Thanks,
> David Craig

See <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>

-Dr. John R. Vokey