[OS X TeX] [Sort-of Off]: Plotting Software

Claus Gerhardt gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Mar 8 03:20:35 CET 2006

For plotting in tex documents, including graphics only documents, I
recommend metapost with my favourite frontend mfpic. Below is a
simple code that will produce 2 graphics with the graphs of sinh,
cosh, and tanh including the labels.

Claus

\begin{center}
%\includegraphics{a3pic15}\hfil\includegraphics{a3pic16}
\begin{mfpic}[20]{-2}{2.5}{-2.5}{3}
%\headshape{1}{1}{false}
\axes
\function{-1.5,1.5,0.05}{0.5*(exp(x)-exp(-x))}
\function{-1.5,1.5,0.05}{0.5*(exp(x)+exp(-x))}
\tlabel[tr](-1.5,1.5){\tup{\Small cosh}}
\tlabel[tr](-1.5,-1){\tup{\Small sinh}}
%\lines{(0.5,0),(1.5,2)}
%\point{(1,1)}
%\tcaption{\raggedright\tit{ Figure 2:}  Function Plot with Cartesian
Axes.}
\end{mfpic}\hfil
\begin{mfpic}[20]{-2}{2.5}{-2.5}{3}
%\headshape{1}{1}{false}
\axes
%\ymarks{-1,1}
\function{-2,2,0.05}{(exp(x)-exp(-x))/(exp(x)+exp(-x))}
\tlabel[tr](1.5,1.8){\tup{\Small tanh}}
\tlabel[cr](-0.3,1.3){\tup{\Small 1}}
\tlabel[cl](0.3,-1.3){\tup{\Small -1}}
\dotted\lines{(-2,1),(2.5,1)}
\dotted\lines{(-2,-1),(2.5,-1)}
%\point{(1,1)}
%\tcaption{\raggedright\tit{ Figure 2:}  Function Plot with Cartesian
Axes.}
\end{mfpic}%
\end{center}