[OS X TeX] converting jpg to eps

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.uu.nl
Tue Mar 7 20:41:00 CET 2006

>AS> I had not heard of the eps2:foo.eps option with convert.  Were is it
>AS> documented?

>AS> When I did a "man convert" I was referred to web sites, but none mention
>AS> eps2.  My version seems to be 6.2.5 (or whatever i-installer did last
>AS> month).  I would appreciate more knowledge about what eps2 does.

My man convert gives:
Convert recognizes the following image formats:
        o  EPS       *rw- Adobe Encapsulated PostScript
        o  EPS2      *-w- Adobe Level II Encapsulated PostScript
        o  EPS3      *-w- Adobe Level III Encapsulated PostScript
        o  EPSF      *rw- Adobe Encapsulated PostScript
        o  EPSI      *rw- Adobe Encapsulated PostScript
                          Interchange format
FILES AND FORMATS
       By default, the image format is determined by its magic  number,  i.e.,
       the  first few bytes of the file. To specify a particular image format,
       precede  the  filename  with  an  image  format  name   and   a   colon
       (i.e.ps:image)  or  specify the image type as the filename suffix.  The
       magic number takes precedence over the filename suffix and  the  prefix
       takes  precedence  over the magic number and the suffix in input files.
       The prefix takes precedence over the filename suffix in  output  files.

So this implies the eps2:file.eps format.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl>