[OS X TeX] [Sort-of Off]: Plotting Software

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Mar 7 16:29:34 CET 2006

Le 7 mars 06 à 16:11, Adam R. Maxwell a écrit :

> Sure, GMT is the way to go for making maps, and it does a great
> job; I use mapproject all the time.  However, if you're dealing
> with gigabytes of model output that you want to visualize, say by
> animating an isosurface over time in 3D, GMT won't quite fit :).

In the mid-90s, I was receiving ads for 2D and 3D visualization
software from Spyglass (I think the software was also called
Spyglass), which seemed to be both powerful and user-friendly, and
was available for the Mac. I knew colleagues at the UCSD AMES
department who were using it and were happy with it, and the Ocean
Modelling team at my departement was also using it. Only thing, it
was rather expensive.

Apparently Spyglass is that same company, an offshot of NCSA, which
sold Mosaic to Microsoft <http://www.panix.com/~clocke/meckler-web/
spyglass.html>. Do you know, by any chance, what happened of the
software?

I keep receiving ads now for other visualization software (Origin,
SigmaPlot, Surfer, Grapher), but they all seem Windows-only.