[OS X TeX] [Sort-of Off]: Plotting Software

markus bongard markus.bongard at umh.es
Tue Mar 7 10:37:13 CET 2006

gentle persons,

On 7 Mar 2006, at 06:01, david craig wrote:

> What do folks recommend for plotting/fitting software?  I'm really
> liking how "Plot" is shaping up, and I admit I'm weary of ports of
> gnuplot and the like, and especially anything with no GUI.  I ask
> both for myself, and to use with upper-level undergraduate courses.

of course that's highly depending on the application and chart/graph
types you want.

> I'm willing to consider a license or two of something expensive [my
> colleague Gordon would be butting in here with "Igor!  Igor!"], but
> I am particularly interested in cheap/free/gpl-type software that
> can be widely distributed in student labs and the like.
> I hate to add this, but I'm especially interested in what free/gpl/
> whatever type software might be a good choice for Windows, since
> that's what's in a lot of the student labs here.  (Cross platform
> file format would be keen, therefore, but not absolutely essential.)

a few references to free, GPL software which runs cross-platform and
might fill your needs:

R -  is `GNU S', a freely available language and environment for
statistical computing and graphics which provides a wide variety of
statistical and graphical techniques: linear and nonlinear modeling,
statistical tests, time series analysis, classification, clustering,
etc. -> http://cran.r-project.org/

MacAnova - *despite its name it is not Mac-only* is a free, open
source program interactive program for statistics and data analysis.
Among its strengths are regression analysis, analysis of variance,
multivariate analysis and time series analysis. It is also good for
more elementary analyses including computing summary statistics, t-
tests and confidence intervals for means and making graphical
displays such as scatter plots and histograms.  -> http://
www.stat.umn.edu/macanova/macanova.home.html

GnuOctave - is a high-level language, primarily intended for
numerical computations. It provides a convenient command line
interface for solving linear and nonlinear problems numerically, and
for performing other numerical experiments using a language that is
mostly compatible with Matlab. It may also be used as a batch-
oriented language. Operates nicely with gnuplot and Aquaterm under
MacOSX -> http://www.octave.org/

gnuplot - *of course* in conjunction with Qgfe (which is cross-
plattform, Qt3-based a graphical interface to gnuplot) and Aquaterm.

hippodraw -  Qt-based, cross-platform, highly interactive data
analysis environment with page oriented layout features. -> http://
www.slac.stanford.edu/grp/ek/hippodraw/

RLPlot - Qt3-based, cross-platform  WYSIWYG-plotting and layout
program ("what you see, is what you get") for high quality graphs
from data via a spreadsheet GUI.  -> http://rlplot.sourceforge.net/

Qtiplot - is a cross-platform, Qt-based graphing and analysis
software for scientists and engineers. Some of its features: 2D and
3D data plotting, ASCII-Import, powerful and versatile spreadsheets
and calculations in column-logic, non-linear y=f(x) curve fitting and
estimation of statistical errors of the fit-parameters. -> http://
soft.proindependent.com/qtiplot.html

and all the ones which are XWindows-based,  like:

scilab - is a scientific software package for numerical computations
providing a powerful open computing environment for engineering and
scientific applications. It includes hundreds of mathematical
functions with the possibility to add interactively programs from
various languages (C, Fortran...). It has sophisticated data
structures (including lists, polynomials, rational functions, linear
systems...), an interpreter and a high level programming language.  -
 > http://scilab.org/

gretl - (GNU Regression, Econometrics and Time-series Library) - is
an econometrics package, including a shared library, a command-line
client program and a graphical user interface. ->  http://
gretl.sourceforge.net/

grace - is a WYSIWYG 2D plotting tool for the X Window System and
M*tif. There is a nice Qt-based, cross-platform helper application
"gaiw", which eases the data-import. ->http://plasma-
gate.weizmann.ac.il/Grace/

dataplot -  is a free, public-domain, multi-platform software system
for scientific visualization, statistical analysis, and non-linear
modeling. The target Dataplot user is the researcher and analyst
engaged in the characterization, modeling, visualization, analysis,
monitoring, and optimization of scientific and engineering processes.
-> http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/software/dataplot/

and everything you can get via fink.

My personal favorites here are: gnuplot (together with Aquaterm and
Qgfe), HippoDraw (which can be easily used additionally from Python,
interacts with ROOT…), and Qtiplot. Besides the latest Qtiplot (which
runs fine under XWindows on MacOS, but displays some strange errors
when natively compiled for MacOSX) you can find ready-made binary
installer of all mentioned Qt-based programs and the required/desired
version of the Qt-framework at http://naranja.umh.es/~atg   Sources
and compilates for the other operating systems of these packages are
ususally availabe from the given home pages. Of course this list is
far from complete and misses serveral nice python-based or other
packages.

cheers,