[OS X TeX] edit Fortran code in Texshop

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Mar 7 07:25:14 CET 2006

Le 6 mars 06 à 18:24, Chen Long a écrit :

> Now I am used to use Texshop for word process. I am wondering if
> there is a mod such that when Texshop opens Fortran code or Matlab
> code, it will highlight those key words.

Assuming you're looking for a text editor which knows about "modes"
and what to do with them (namely, a Fortran mode with Fortran syntax
highlighting and possibly a dedicated menu or palette, and the same
for TeX, for Perl, for Tcl/Tk, etc.), it's clearly IMO not the
purpose of TeXShop, but there are a few candidates:

- AlphaX (shareware, started its life on pre-OS X Macs):

	<http://alphatcl.sourceforge.net/wiki/>

- BBEdit (commercial, started its life on pre-OS X Macs):

	<http://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/index.shtml>

- TextWrangler (freeware, a stripped-down version of BBEdit):

	<http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/index.shtml>

- Emacs (freeware, a long-time *nix favourite, with several -- many
-- too many -- OS X ports):

	<http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/
carbonemacspackage.html>
	<http://homepage.mac.com/zenitani/emacs-e.html>
	<http://yaced.sourceforge.net/>
	<http://aquamacs.org/>
	<http://emacs-on-aqua.sourceforge.net/>
	<http://emacs-app.sourceforge.net/>

Apart from Emacs, these are only Carbon software, namely software
that build upon the Classic Mac OS inheritance of OS X. There must
also be Cocoa software with the same functionalities, namely software
that build upon the NeXT inheritance of OS X. I just don't know much
about them. Some I heard the name of, without really knowing what
they do:

- TextMate <http://macromates.com/>

- Smultron <http://smultron.sourceforge.net/>

- SubEthaEdit <http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/>

And I'm sure there are many others!

There must also be dedicated "modes" (if that is indeed the right
term) for Xcode lying around.

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin