[OS X TeX] [Sort-of Off]: Plotting Software

david craig dac at panix.com
Tue Mar 7 06:01:05 CET 2006

What do folks recommend for plotting/fitting software?  I'm really
liking how "Plot" is shaping up, and I admit I'm weary of ports of
gnuplot and the like, and especially anything with no GUI.  I ask both
for myself, and to use with upper-level undergraduate courses.

I'm willing to consider a license or two of something expensive [my
colleague Gordon would be butting in here with "Igor!  Igor!"], but I am
particularly interested in cheap/free/gpl-type software that can be
widely distributed in student labs and the like.

I hate to add this, but I'm especially interested in what
free/gpl/whatever type software might be a good choice for Windows,
since that's what's in a lot of the student labs here.  (Cross platform
file format would be keen, therefore, but not absolutely essential.)

More generally, is there a good list for these kinds of Mac-oriented [if
not exclusively Mac] scientific-computing questions?

Thanks,
David Craig

<http://www.panix.com/~dac/>