[OS X TeX] converting jpg to eps

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Mar 6 12:27:36 CET 2006

Am 06.03.2006 um 01:01 schrieb Tom Koornwinder:

> In that case I have the habit to start my latex files with the
> line    %!TEX TS-program =  latex
> However, then the typesetting engine of http://arxiv.org/ does not
> produce satisfactory output. The reason is that
> the sequence "%!" is the Unix magic filetype indicator for PostScript,
> so their system fails to recognize it as latex.
>
> So, if you submit to http://arxiv.org/, you should remove a first line
> starting with "%!" from your latex file.

This bad 'magic' can be found in more UNIX places! Even in Mac OS X.

On the command line you can invoke

	file <one of those starting with %!TEX>

and the file command will return:

	<file name>: PostScript document text

Someone started in last millennium to programme PS files starting
with %! instead of %!PS-Adobe or at least %!PS and this was later
sanctioned as a 'legal' short form. GNU Emacs too relies on this and
tries to interpret such a TeX file as PostScript ... (setting
in .emacs (add-to-list 'magic-mode-alist '("%!PS-Adobe" . ps-mode)))
corrects this issue)

--
Greetings

   Pete

build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying
to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
                                                           -- Rich Cook