[OS X TeX] a user-defined engine for TeXShop (was adjusting TexShop's Bibliography macro)

Daniel Becker daniel.becker at uni-rostock.de
Sat Mar 4 07:08:51 CET 2006

While the original problem can be solved with an apple-script macro
see other post, an engine can do the same job, that is running a
whole sequence of pdflatex, bibtex and makeindex that is necessary to
produce a valid pdf...

Thanks to Peter and Herb for explaining how to deal with filenames
etc in a shell-script etc. The script that works as expected is
documented below.

Daniel

>>> I tried (several hours) to adjust the  Bibliography macro that
>>> comes with TexShop to my needs. All I want to do is to have two
>>> more runs than already present in the macro.

>> How about writing an "engine" for this job?
>>
>> An engine is a little shell script that does a complicated batch
>> job, for example like ps4pdf.engine.
>>
>> You can take as template one of the (makeindex) scripts in ~/
>> Library/TeXShop/bin and copy it under an easy to understand name
>> to ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/<name>.engine, then add pdflatex and
>> other makeindex lines ... and in your TeX source put among the
>> first lines:
>>
>> 	%!TEX TS-program = <name>
>>
>> so that TeXShop texs your file with the right engine at once!

This is the engine file that does what I want:

#!/bin/tcsh
# pdflatex, bibtex,pdflatex,pdflatex,makeindex,pdflatex

set path = ($path  /usr/local/bin  /usr/local/teTeX/bin/`uname -p`-
apple-darwin-current)

set fbName = `basename "$1" .tex`

pdflatex --shell-escape "${fbName}"

bibtex --shell-escape "${fbName}"

pdflatex --shell-escape "${fbName}"

pdflatex --shell-escape "${fbName}"

makeindex -c -s indexkorr.ist "${fbName}.idx"

pdflatex --shell-escape "${fbName}"

again, the index-stylefile indexkorr.ist needs to be in

~/Library/texmf/makeindex/

or in the working directory. Also, the engines in ~/Library/TeXShop/
Engines/ need to be executable, therefore, in the terminal:

[Daniel-Beckers-Mac:~] daniel% chmod -R 755 ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/
[Daniel-Beckers-Mac:~] daniel% ls -l ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/
-rwxr-xr-x   1 daniel  staff  110 Feb  5 03:50 XeLaTeX.engine
-rwxr-xr-x   1 daniel  staff  107 Feb  5 03:50 XeTeX.engine
-rwxr-xr-x   1 daniel  staff  423 Mar  4 06:52 fullrun.engine
-rwxr-xr-x   1 daniel  staff  412 Mar  2 15:15 ps4pdf_Bilder.engine