[OS X TeX] Checking my files

Florian Grammel grammel at gmx.net
Wed Mar 1 12:26:34 CET 2006

Dear list,

in the phase of proofreading, I was wondering, whether the work
wouldn't be much easier, if I found out how to do the following two
things. Might-be any of you could give me a hint?

I'd like to produce some sort of output, that would allow me to
double-check all the hyphenations, that LaTeX has done while
typesetting the document. Ideally this list would be per language and
sorted alphabetically, even though the sorting would be no problem to
do later in an editor.

I've learned from http://www.kronto.org/thesis/tips/hyphenation.html
that the Unix TeX-frontend xtem_TeXMenu can do this as well as the a
utility called show-hyphen. As far as I could find out, nobody has
ever ported neither one nor the other to OS X.

Does any of you use this utility and could tell me how to get it
working on the my Mac?

Or does any of you have an idea, how one could get LaTeX to log its
decisions concerning hyphenation to a separate file, and -- in the
best of all possible worlds -- even including a short indication
which babel-dictionary it has used? Something like:

GE: Sil-be
EN: syl-lable
DA: sta-velse

And then I also would like to check while proofreading the paper-
copy, whether I have put my index-tags in the right places. Something
like

\usepackage{index}
\renewcommand{\index}{\ul{\index}}

seemed the obvious solution, but I can't get it to work. Obviously
the obvious is too obvious in this case?

Thank you in advance!
Kind regards,
Florian.

Florian Grammel