[OS X TeX] Building new LaTeX formats w/ OS X Textures

Frank STENGEL fstengel at mac.com
Fri Jun 30 11:44:32 CEST 2006

Le 30 juin 06 à 07:11, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> I imagine people from Blue Sky TeX Systems are silently listening
> to this list (given the Textures list has been inactive for quite
> some time, and I'm not aware of any public beta program).

I don' know whether they read this list, but they seem quite reactive
these days when one reports problems/crashes with the alpha version
of 2.2.0 (every mail was answered within 24 hours)

> At one point I'll look into the possibility of having OS X Textures
> use gwTeX (not the binary or font directories, but at least the tex/
> generic, tex/plain and tex/latex directories. Without this, it will
> take really a strong amount of motivation to move back to the
> generally outdated Textures TeX tree after years of experiencing
> the comfort of the standard and platform-independent gwTeX TeX tree.

One can already do that with classic Textures. However this is *very*
slow (typeset times multiplied by 10). AFAIK Textures (clasic or OSX)
does not use the ls-r mechanism kpsathsea uses, so search is *very*
slow. That's why one had to flatten/prune the (teTeX) tex directories
so as to accelerate search (or use the version given on the CD).

--
Frank STENGEL (fstengel<at>mac.com)