[OS X TeX] SVG to LaTeX?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Jun 26 17:18:18 CEST 2006

Am 26.06.2006 um 13:57 schrieb William Adams:

> On Jun 26, 2006, at 4:50 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>
>> Use Ross' method and from ImageMagick convert: \immediate\write18
>> {convert mypicture.svg  mypicture.pdf}%
>
> But that rips down to a flattened out bitmap unless ImageMagick can
> now handle vectors as vectors?

Yes, I think it creates a bitmap. And what's even worse: it bloats
the output!

The little flag in SVG format from xrmap is less than 3 kB in size.
In PNG it's almost 8 kB -- in PDF 1.5 MB! (The flag's size is
1063x709. The PNG output is 64 bit truecolour+alpha non-interlaced --
not optimal...)

To include an image into the TeX output PNG is good and small enough.
To preserve the vector format I would use EPS which can be converted
into PDF on the fly with Ross' method for inclusion with pdfTeX. Or
with a Makefile. I don't know much about METAPOST, but this is a
vector format and it's so well integrated into ConTeXt that it might
be a very good choice.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"They're putting dimes in the hole in my head to see the change in me."