[OS X TeX] Margin/Font size of Docuement Printed from TeXShop, Preview, and Adobe Reader

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Mon Jun 26 00:08:57 CEST 2006

On Jun 25, 2006, at 6:02 PM, Jung-Tsung Shen wrote:

> I am preparing a one-page document using LaTeX. I noticed that, if I
> printed the generated PDF document within TeXShop, or Preview, then
> the margin is narrower, and the font size is slightly larger than that
> printed from Adobe Reader.
>
> In fact, the output from Adobe Reader looks nicer (boundary- and font
> size- wise). Would it be possible to "force", in some way, the
> printing to generate the same output, no matter from which program I
> initiate the printing?
>
> *In the Adobe Reader printing pref panel, there are a bunch of
> choices. I simply accepted the default settings without changing
> anything.

<rant>
I wish that Adobe did not make this the default.
</rant>

If you look around in the printing prefs, you will see a setting that
is something like "Scale to Fit the Page" and even though generally
the page fits fine, Reader stills scales *everything*. Because of
this, I always end up getting LaTeX documents from students that are
scaled down. Anyway, it is likely that setting that is the root of
what you are seeing. In Acrobat Pro, there are a number of choices --
I don't know if Reader is the same, but I do know that you can set it
to "None" or somehow turn it off.

-- Gary