[OS X TeX] Recent Update and XeLaTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Jun 24 22:24:55 CEST 2006

On 24 Jun 2006, at 8:57 pm, McGarry Vince wrote:

> Thanks, Peter and Justin. I found a line in ~/.cshrc, the only one,
> still looking for /sw/bin/init.csh. Does XeLaTeX look at ~/.cshrc
> each time I compiles a document? Better yet, does it look at the
> sequence of login/rc files each time I compile a document---the
> files listed in man tcsh? Is it looking for PATH info and/or
> something else?

It's not xelatex itself looking at such files; but when you ask
TeXShop to run xelatex, it uses an "engine file" which is actually a
shell script that runs under tcsh, and therefore reads tcsh's startup
files.

(Which means that running xelatex directly from a bash shell in
Terminal should work fine; the problem only comes up because of how
TeXShop handles it.)

Clearly when you installed or configured Fink, sometime in the past,
~/.cshrc was modified, but when you removed Fink, the change was not
undone.

JK